The Yonex Nanoray 20 is an entry-level racket released in 2018 with a revolutionary design and improved technology.
If you are a beginner or an intermediate badminton player looking for a cost-friendly racket that does not sacrifice quality and power to spruce up your skills, Yonex Nanoray 20 is a great option to consider.
Key Features for Yonex Nanoray 20
Yonex Nanoray is a beautiful power machine almost similar to Nanoray 10 but with a unique touch. Here are the most notable features of this racket:
- The racket weighs 3U (88 grams) making it lightweight. As a result, it easy to handle and play and ensures your arm and wrist are comfortable.
- The frame is made of graphite, which is relatively strong and lightweight. As such, it prevents transmission of shock and vibrations to the arm and shoulders, and helps you achieve great power and control.
- The Yonex Nanoray 20 Badminton Racket comes with either black/blue or black/yellow color variations. This gives you a chance to choose between the two colors especially for those who love elegance and colour-coding.
Let’s take a closer look at the specs:
Hard Facts about the racket
|Stringing Advice||3U (Ave.88g) G3, G4, or G5|
|Grip size||4 ½ inches|
Yonex Nanoray 20 Review- Overall Rating: 7/10
The Yonex Nanoray 20 is a high-quality racket specially made for both beginners and intermediate players. It is a lightweight, responsive and budget-friendly racket that does not compromise on performance and quality.
As a result, this racket will come in handy if you like the defensive play style since it makes it easy for you to deliver powerful smashes.
Power – 7/10
The racket feels good when holding it, and not weak. That being said, the Nanoray 20 is more of a defensive racket than an attacking one.
It has great repulsion power thanks to the Nanomesh and the carbon Nanotube.
Besides that, the racket’s isometric frame shape provides you with a large sweet spot, which makes it perfect for landing more powerful shots. An enlarged sweet spot also makes it easier to score points.
Another great element that impressed me was the aerodynamically contoured frame designed to minimize air resistance, thus giving your repulsion more power.
However, compared to other Yonex models such as Voltric 80 and Voltric Z Force II, it does not offer powerful smashes giving the Nanoray 20 some minus points.
Speed – 8/10
Nanoray 20 has a fast swing speed and quick repulsion, which from my observation helps you dominate when playing.
It delivers accurate drops shots, fast drive shots, fast returns and quick cross corner shots.
Moreover, the aerodynamics contours allows you to cut through the air fast so you can maintain high speed without straining your arm and wrist.
Control – 7/10
The Yonex Nanoray 20 features an inbuilt T-joint connection between the frame and the shaft that helps reduce torque, thus giving you a high control level in its movement.
The shaft is thin making the racket lightweight leading to precise control in every shot.
I also realized that with the isometric frame shape, you will find that the spacing between the strings is similar, which largely contributes to consistent beat and better control.
Specific Shots Rated
- Smash – 7/10
- Drop – 8/10
- Clear – 8/10
- Drive – 7/10
- Defensive block – 9/10
- Net kill – 7/10
- Defensive lift – 9/10
My personal impression
In my opinion, the Yonex Nanoray 20 is a high-quality racket that comes at a very beginner-friendly price-point.
The racket is an entry-level racket with a weight classification of 3U, weighing an average of 88 grams, which means it is light enough that you won’t experience too much fatigue while practicing your shots.
It provides strength, power, and durability as well as speed and agility required to control the game. Therefore, it is not only made for novices but also intermediate players.
Below are some of the pros and cons I found when reviewing this Yonex Nanoray 20.
- The racket has aerodynamics that makes it incredibly fast and quick cutting through the air.
- It is a high flex racket, giving it fast repulsion best suited for attacking style.
- Due to its lightweight and support cap, it is pretty easy to maneuver for a terrific performance.
- I love that it is cost effective and doesn’t compromise on quality and performance.
- The aero-box technology is designed to give more accuracy and minimize torque to give you more shuttle placements.
- Nanoray 20 is ideal for beginners and intermediates
- I must agree that the racket will make you enjoy your impulse more and help you maintain a high speed when playing without hurting your wrist.
- The sturdy inbuilt T-joint makes the racket more durable, robust and torque-free
- It is made for beginners and intermediate players so it’s not a great choice for advanced players.
- Nonoray 20 is less powerful compared to other rackets from Yonex such as Yonex Voltric 80.
- Its lightweight design does not offer powerful smashes.
Alternatives to Yonex Nanoray 20
Are you a professional player looking for a better badminton racket, here are some alternatives for you.
Yonex Arcsaber Z Slash – Attacking Players
Yonex Arcsaber Z Slash is a great alternative if you are a hard-hitting attacker who loves to take control of the game.
It is a high-end, fast and precise model designed to deliver a high level of satisfaction with an excellent control and impressive power.
Yonex Voltric Z Force 2- For Singles Players
As the successor of the world’s most popular Voltric Z-Force, the Voltric Z-Force II is a great option for singles and doubles player looking forward to increasing smash speed.
It features an extra slim shaft design, has better responsiveness, and cuts through the air faster.
Should you buy Yonex Nanoray 20?
If you are a beginner or intermediate player, the Yonex Nanoray 20 will definitely give you an upper hand during the game.
The racket is budget-friendly, fast and powerful and can help you hone your skills as a beginner. Additionally, it is relatively easy to use and it’s well rounded in both attack and defense.
Yonex Nanoray 20 is no doubt one of my favorite beginner friendly rackets that offers great value at a low cost.